should the speedo & tach be grounded?

To: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: should the speedo & tach be grounded?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 09:01:38 -0400
Cc: triumphs list <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires list <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Douglas Frank
>There's a black wire dangling from my harness under the dash, behind the
  speedo & tach.  Everything is hooked up and ready to go, except this
wire which is a loose end as it were.  It has two terminals on it, and
from their position and distance between, the only thing I can see that
it might be for, is to stick under the instruments' mounting clamps,
which would ground their casings.  So that's what I did and the fit is
fine.  And as it's a black wire, it's a ground after all....
<

Doug,  if this is factory wiring then all black wires are earth (ground)
wires.  This is the color code they adopted.  My guess is that these
terminals are ring type and yes, you are right, they go under the securing
nuts for the gauges.  This is a more secure ground that the gauge-to-dash
contact that may at first seem sufficient and things may all seem to work
fine without these but they will work better, longer with these wires
attached.

On the otherhand, if a PO added some wires he/she may have just used what
wire came to hand so have a look but you are probably correct in your
assessment.

Dave