RE: generator/charging TR3A (controlbox suspicious)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: generator/charging TR3A (controlbox suspicious)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:01:03 -0700
Ed, my next suggestion would be to check the voltage between the D and F
terminals at the control box, with the engine running (and the red light
on).  If you find voltage here (with the red light on), the control box is
bad (although cleaning the regulator contacts might resuscitate it for
awhile).

If not, disconnect the wires from the D and F terminals, jumper the wires
together and connect a voltmeter from the junction to ground.  Start the
engine and observe the voltage.  This is exactly the test I suggested
before, except now the wires between the control box and generator are in
the circuit.  If you get different results, the wires are bad.

> One thing I
> noticed that was strange IMO was the cut out never appeared to
> engage on its
> own, and only when I manually engaged it did the indicator go
> off,

That's pretty much a given, the red light indicates the cutout is open ...

> however at
> the same time the annemeter read -15 .

Which indicates that current is flowing into the generator (it's trying to
act like a motor), and thus the cutout should not have been closed.  The
cutout contacts are governed by both current and voltage, if the current is
high enough they will stay closed regardless of the voltage or direction of
current.

> Control box suspect?

Yes, based on your description so far, it's either the control box or the
wiring to the generator.  My guess would be it's the field wire to the
generator.

Randall