RE: removing differential

To: "Bernie" <bernd.vabeach@erols.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[FA385F70:01C20AFC] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g53Cmwu05716
Subject: RE: removing differential
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 07:48:35 -0500 cpqcorp.net>
Bernie,

My exhaust was also in the way, but I still had clearance to drop the diff.

Using a floor jack, some rope and a neighbor, there should be enough room to
lower the unit off of the mounting bolts and slide it over the pipes.

Sliding the new unit in place is easier with three set of hands working against
gravity.

However, if you do remove the exhaust, it should be a lot easier to maneuver
around.

Bill
Atlanta
74 TR6

Once again I'm coming to the list for advice, this is my dilemma, having
obtained a differential from a friend of mine I was all ready to "just" take
my installed differential out of the car and pop the new one in, I jacked up
the car, crawled underneath and it hit me like a ton of bricks, the just
popping the old one out and the new one in is a figment of my imagination,
nothing is easy,  I noticed that my Monza exhaust system interferes with the
straight forward dropping of the differential, so how to remove it?, I see
where the break in the pipes of the exhaust system are ( about mid way under
the car) but since the exhaust system has been installed for ages it is pretty
well rusted( fused together) any ideas of how to separate the pipes without
destroying the whole exhaust system?,  also I noticed that removing the bolts
from the half shaft ( the four bolts on each side of the differential and the
four by the driveshaft) are rusted in, I finally managed to get one of the
bolts loose but still haven't been able to get the nut completely off, my
strength gave out before the nut came off, I sprayed some Liquid wrench on
them (the bolt's) and will try to remove them again during the week, any
tricks to getting them off, sooooooo after all this rambling it comes down to
1. how do I separate the exhaust pipes  and 2 is there a trick to removing the
bolt's so the differential can be dropped down,  as always thanks to all in
advance for all your collective help and advice.