RE: wire wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: wire wheels
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:21:07 -0700
> Richard, I had the same set up - Wire wheels and a standard rim
> in the spare
> compartment.  It is, from what I understand a useless spare.  The only way
> to mount it is to remove the adapter but, since the conversion to wires
> requires shortening the studs, you would have to replace them before you
> could mount the spare- not a road side job.

Although definitely not recommended, it is possible to mount a standard
wheel using the special nuts and shortened studs.  Strictly a "limp home"
thing, don't want to push the limits especially on cornering.  But, if the
other choice is walking home ...  Oh, and a normal lug wrench usually won't
take the special nuts off, you'll need a 6-point socket.

The original 48 spoke wire wheels will fit in the spare tire compartment,
even on a pre-TS60000 car, but you have to have a narrow tire.  Coker Tire
had some 148-15 tires on sale for $35 recently, don't know if they still
have any or not.

Don't have my books handy, but ISTR that safety knockoffs were optional on
the TRs.  They were standard on my early Stag.  They will interchange, so
it's no big deal to convert.

Randall