Aircraft grade bolts -

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Aircraft grade bolts -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 12:51:24 -0700
>I prefer either Pegasus Racing Supply or Racer's Wholesale (Pegasus
>got the stuff to me within 24 hours just recently...). What they sell
>is Aircraft Grade. Once that's properly tightened nothing short of a
>direct hit during a zeppelin raid will move it.
**************************************
Actually, what are commonly referred to as "aircraft" grade bolts, while
not garden variety crap :-) are not as good in automotive applications as
one might be lead to believe as grade eight or better bolts.  The reason
being is that in all aircraft the fasteners are not nearly as stressed.
The systems in aircraft are designed with built in redundancy so that in
the event of a failure, there is usually something to back it up.  This
goes for the fastening system as well.  However in cars, where it *might*
not be as catastrophic if a failure were to occur, there is little
redundancy factor and such fasteners are or should be a bit more reliable
because fewer are used and those that are used must be of high quality -
That isn't to say that in some critical aircraft applications very high
quality bolts and nut's aren't used, but chances are the bolt that secures
the engine on a 747 probably won't have many direct applications in the
automotive industry - "Aircraft" quality is certainly a good quality of
bolt, but I would rate it about third in my choice of highest quality
fasteners.  ARP being number one, Grade 8 or better number two and
"aircraft" and grade 5 number three -