Spitfire Smog Pump

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Smog Pump
From: "Justin Paxton" <Justin@BEXEL.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 21:18:15 -0700
Cc: <trnut@aol.com> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g584II301338
OK you guys.  You've haven't let me down yet, and now I really need you.  I
have a 76 Spitfire (1500) and have to get it smogged in LA by October 2002.  I
bought it 2 years ago and it had just been smogged, without a pump I might add,
by "some guy he knew".
Silly me, I thought by now they would have lowered the exemption to 76, but it
stands like some EPA statue at 1973 for reasons I can't explain.  Triumph
owners seem to be pretty testy when I bring it up though so I am asking for
some help.

I am pretty sure I don't have a chance at a TEST ONLY station without a pump,
so I need one of those.  I have tried all the usual sources for used and no one
has one.  I have all the rest of the parts, but I don't know in what condition.
 Catalytic this...charcoal that....I look some of it up in the Moss Cataloge
and it scares me to death.

What are the chances I get a pump, change the belt and just GO FOR IT.
What is anyones experience with these things.  It runs great, and doesn't
smoke....at least not filters...Does some EPA guy with a white coat crawl up
the tailpipe and make me rebuild the engine just for fun?
Anybody have a "Smog Friend" that can help me get through this.
What do all you Dual downdraft Webber guys I see at the shows do for tags?
I need HELP!
Cheers: JP
76 Spitfire, 59 TR3A, 66 Mini Moke  "Parts All Over The House"