Ignition help needed

To: "INTERNET:MJSUKEY@cs.com" <MJSUKEY@cs.com>
Subject: Ignition help needed
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:09:44 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <fot@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:MJSUKEY@cs.com
>HELP, just put a freshly rebuilt engine in the TR-6.  Cant seem to keep
the
thing running.  It seems to me to be ignition related.  One symptom is that

it will crank and crank but wont fire, let off the key and it wants to
fire.
I remember somebody discussing this on one of the list at one time.  If
anybody remembers this thread and remembers what the problem is please
e-mail
me direct at mjsukey@cs.com , I will be coming in from the barn to check
the
messages. I am trying to get this darn thing running for a race tomorrow
and
the hours are ticking away..
<

This could be a defective ignition switch.  I had a switch on an MG  that
would would provide power just fine in the run position but not in the
start position.  I had similar problems.  If I finessed it just right I
could get it to start.  A new switch solved the problem.

If you have a volt meter, check the voltage at the coil with the key in the
run position and the start position.  If you get not voltage in the start
postion then check the switch.  Also check for voltage in the ACC position.
 If you get voltage there, too, then your switch is miss wired and the
white wire is connected to the radio terminal.  (I've seen this happen,
too)

Dave