TR6 Engine Rebuild

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Engine Rebuild
From: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:01:13 -0600
Haven't been to the List regularly in a while. Do I understand correctly
that there is no way to access Archives now?

I would welcome input on a TR6 engine re-build. Although it runs strong my
1974 TR6 has always run through oil at about 500-600 miles/quart and the
last couple years  has had a bit of a miss that I attribute to a fouled #3
cylinder sparkplug - except now  I need to clean/replace it every few
hundred miles instead of once or twice/yr.  It's too bad as the rest of the
plugs are dry and a nice light brown color. I also have a thrust washer that
I know is worn out of spec.

 So I'm thinking time for a re-build.  I do most of the work on my car but
have not been inside an engine before so I think I will get this done at a
shop.

I'd welcome  any advice/experience  on:
- what exactly  should I get done - do I have any options to a rebuuild,
- are there suggested upgrades  or operations that are common sense  to do
when the  engine is opened up,
- are there any simple mild performance enhancers I should consider that
are efficient in terms of cost, don't require a chain of  other upgrades and
don't  compromise something else (ie. smooth idle, overheating, etc.)
- are there things I should watch for, avoid,  insist on, or have them check
- including cautions to the shop doing the work.
- what should be new, what can be rebuilt.
- what should I expect to pay.

Basically I want to know now what I will know after all the work is done and
it's back in the car. I've  found with this car that  I often become an
expert in some aspect of it after it's too late.

My  gearbox and clutch were done a couple years ago so that is not an issue
(although the flywheel wasn't touched).

Thanks Jim Sloan - Calgary
jsloan@talisman-energy.com