Couple questions...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Couple questions...
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:22:08 -0400
Hello all,

New engine is in Freddy, now need to hook everything back up. Couple questions:

1. Can someone take a stab at describing (or point me to a good picture)
the layout of the heater hoses and crosspipe for a Spitfire 1500? I am
going back to a stock heater valve and it has been many years since it was
all in the car.

2. I am using a Lucas distributor with no vacuum advance or retard, just
mechanical advance. What is a good starting point for setting the timing on
a '74 1500? And how do I read the little gauge thing above the crank
pulley? Which way is advanced, which way is retarded? How many degrees are
the little marks? My old engine only had a pointer - no gauge.

One interesting thing - it is amazing how much easier it is to turn the 74
1500 over by hand compared to the 69 1296. I can easily turn the 1500 just
by turning the crank pulley - it is all I can do to turn over the 1296 by
the flywheel. I assume this is due to the much lower compression ratio of
the 1500 - 7.5:1? I am pretty sure my 1296 had a higher than stock CR, and
stock was 9:1, right?

With a little luck, may have liftoff this evening, certainly tomorrow!

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine
Freddy the Spitfire