re: TR6: Indexing the Piper270 cam, part 2

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: TR6: Indexing the Piper270 cam, part 2
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:26:46 -0600
When I had Colt Cams grind my custom cam for my car I had a similar
problem they recommended installing it in the advanced position rather
than the retarded position so that would be 109 ATDC. Which
coincidentally is what I ended up with for peak lift on my cam when I
degreed my cam and plotted the cam lift and timing in an Excel chart,
mine should have been at 110 degrees. Recording the lift every 5 degrees
and entering it in a spread sheet and then converting it into a chart
really helped make sense out of the cam timing . Just out of curiosity
what are the lobe centers on your cam? Oh and don't feel bad about 5
hours time in, by the time I took my laptop down to the garage and
plotted both intake and exhaust curves I must have spent 8 or more hours
at it but I'm much better educated on the subject now than before I
started. I also now know the exact rocker arm ratio for each rocker arm
and the lift/timing at each lobe on the cam. I did get a little carried
away documenting the blueprinting of my engine.

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Fiat Cabriolet