RE: Cooling

To: "sdspitfire@sbcglobal.net" <sdspitfire@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Cooling
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:32:56 -0400
Cc: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[09FD5E40:01C216D5] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g5IEX0309576
Ken, If your having a slight problem with slight overheating say just in hot
weather and the gauge gets a little more towards the hot than you'd like, but
it isn't really overheating (boiling over) Then using just plain old water,
with out any antifreeze (but use a lubricant/antirust like Prestone or similar)
is actually more efficient than an antifreeze mix as far as transferring heat.
Its certainly cheaper and more effective than adding any more additives.  I've
tried water wetter etc, and found that plain old water is the best. The folks
at Stewart high performance water pumps back this up.  If you dont need the
freezing protection (and here in San Diego you dont really need it) then it
will improve your cooling efficiency possibly enough to get you by  Ive been
running this way now in both my cars - and it works the best, especially in the
GT6 which has always run a little on the warm side