RE: TR3a Rad overflow

To: "Triumphs@Autox Net \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a Rad overflow
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:20:55 -0700
> I have had a couple of time where the the rad has overheated ( running too
> long without moving :-( ).  When this has occured coolant comes out of the
> overflow tube ( as designed ).  I am thinking that a overflow
> bottle may be
> good accessory to add.  I know it's not original  but it would be nice to
> save some of the coolant?
>
> I have a spare bottle from a parts spit, so I figure I could use that.

David, it is a worthwhile upgrade IMO, but there's a problem.  For it to be
effective, you need a modern type radiator cap that has two rubber gaskets
in it, the usual one plus one to seal to the top of the radiator neck, so
that when the engine cools it can draw a partial vacuum and suck coolant
back out of the bottle.  Problem is, AFAIK no such cap is available.  The
TR3 radiator uses a special 'long reach' cap with no modern equivalent.

You can try adding a gasket under the cap (most parts stores carry a
"coolant recovery kit" that includes the gasket), but it didn't work with my
old cap.

Randall