Lucas supply

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lucas supply
From: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:32:39 -0700
<This has been riddling me for a while (forgive me for being naive), but it
appears there's quite an abundance of "new" OEM Lucas branded parts out on
the marketplace - what is the story with that.

Where is it made (UK, Czech, Taiwan), Who owns/operates the company, and
why does it cost so much if in fact it is not NOS, but in, fact new?

Also, does anyone know one retailer that basically can provide us Lucas
branded parts at reasonable prices (extra points for this answer)? (e.g.,
I recently brought TR6 lamp trim rings which had lucas' branded stripe on
the box - go figure!)>

Corey, Corey, Corey...
Ah, the story of Lucas, the once mighty parts supplier of all things
electrical to the English automotive market.  Ah, back in the old days when
the Lucas catalog covered every item down to the washer under the screws
that held on trim rings!  Alas, it's called CAPITALISM.  One corporation has
too much money, buys another, because reducing prices or raising wages with
the extra money just wouldn't be right.  But I digress...  The Lucas name is
still very real though perhaps divided between a couple of suppliers.  They
still ship product in Lucas boxes and are considered by many as OEM, still.
Where are some of the items made?  Come on, think multinational corporation.
Lucas buys stuff from all over the world and makes stuff in factories all
over the world.  Cost always goes up.  Though some of the headlamp trim
rings are especially over priced compared to aftermarket rings, but the ones
I have seen are of better quality.  The TR6 trim ring is in fact now no
longer supplied by Lucas.  This is common, as they sell less and less of an
item, they discontinue it.  What had been a profitable, good selling item to
one company, becomes a small, insignificant, expensive item to a huge
automotive conglomerate.  The accountants then step up, they run all the
companies in the world anyway, and decide to stop producing an item.
Where can you get Lucas branded product?  You have to specifically ask for
it.
Hope this hasn't been too depressing, but I had to break it to you; gently I
hope...

Peter Arakelian - '71 TR6 Daily Driver
Domestic Buyer
Moss Motors, Ltd.