TR4: starter redux

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4: starter redux
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 17:32:11 -0600
I'm still trying to replace my starter and solenoid for the
TR4. Most recently, I reinstalled the new starter without the
small metal shim that had been installed with the original
starter. After I'd initially installed the new starter, the starter
wouldn't disengage. I pulled it out and installed it 180
degrees -- the only thing I could see to do differently -- and
it would disengage but it seems the pinion gear is rubbing
against the ring gear (or something).

A Bad Thing I Did: while reinstalling without the shim, I failed
to disconnect the battery and, while reattaching the hot cable
to the starter, created a shower of sparks with the wrench.
After that, I disconnected the battery and attached everything
properly. When I tried to start the car, I got...

a click, and a little smoke at the solenoid.

I'm pretty sure this is bad. The spare, new solenoid also gave
me a click with a high pitched whine for the second I turned
the key. Time to learn to use a multimeter?

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO