Re: Lucas supply cn.com>

To: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lucas supply cn.com>
From: corey.sherman@RCN.COM
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:01:43 -0400 22, 2002) at 06/18/2002 09:01:45 PM, Serialize complete at 06/18/2002 09:01:45 PM
Peter, Peter, Peter...

Thanks for the lesson in economics, corporate domination and global
manufacturing principles... really quite shocking. Gee, I guess I can now
consult for one of the largest Fortune 10 companies in the world... wait I
do (Doh!). But I too digress. I simply asked where the Lucas supply was
being sourced - I thought a reasonable question.

Another astute List member (thanks Lbj), appropriately replied without the
weak sarcasm or condescension - not to worry old boy, I'm a new Yorker, I
can take it.  A historic perspective and lesson in the "what to look for"
would have been more appropriate (Not to worry Peter,  I still respect and
appreciate your viewpoint).

"If it is in a Lucas box, it is Lucas... Orange boxes are typically the
older
production stuff (prior to 1990).  The new green boxes are current /
recent
production items.  (Most NOS items should be in Red, or Red/Black boxes...
some early orange boxes also).  Lucas items in generic white boxes denote
reproductions, not of Lucas origins.  For instance, the Cobra tail lamps
you
can buy from Moss (they're also used on Healey's) come in generic white
boxes... and I'm pretty certian the word "Lucas" is missing from the
lens."

Lucas, prior to the TRW buyout, still produced popular parts for our cars.
Lucas will gladly reproduce you a part, since they still retain the
tooling
for most of the parts, so long as you place a nice large (read: 1000 piecs
or more) order.  This pretty much limits production to exlusive batch runs
for Moss and other very large parts suppliers.

Moss in somecases has acquired the tooling for some items, and will run
their own batches as necessary.  Again, they'll be in a white box.  BTW,
the
parts on that website you posted, are horrendously expensive.  But then
again, the Cobra owners don't really care... and the kit car owners are
too
lazy to search for cheaper parts since they have little clue about what
was
original anyway.

I also think "abundance" is too broad of a word.  Stocks of Lucas parts
are
pretty sparse, it is just some people have large stocks of them, and
others
(more than those that do) have nothing at all and need to purchase their
parts from suppliers who have the parts.  It gives the impression that
everyone has access to new / OEM / NOS Lucas parts.