RE: Seat Stabliization

To: "'Charles Van Middlesworth'" <vanmiddl@kcmetro.cc.mo.us>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Triumph group <CTRIUMPH@egroups.com>
Subject: RE: Seat Stabliization
From: john donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:54:29 -0700
Hello Charles and Kristan,

Here's a few comments on your questions.

> My son and daughter-in-law are restoring a 1964 TR4.  As they are
> applying the finishing touches they have discovered their seats do not
> have a way to secure them from lifting forward.  I know in my TR6 I have
> two latch-type connectors that hold the seat in place.  Can anyone
> enlighten us on what is used to secure older TR4 seats from lifting
> forward - the concern is a sudden stop.

Nothing. The passenger uses a lap seat belt to hold both them and the seat
in place. If you're concerned about an empty passengar seat then strap the
lap belt over the seat. In my many years I've never experienced a problem,
and I've never fastened down an empty seat.

> Also, has anyone installed the retractable seat belts in a TR4 - is this
> process as straight-forward as it seems?  Any assistance would be
> appreciated.
>
> Charles - 1976 TR6
> Charles & Kristan - 1964 TR4
> Kansas City

During my recent restoration I went to 3 point retractable belts. Moss
sells a no-body-mod design putting the retracting mechanism at the bottom
of the "B" post, and a swivel/guide under the retractable top stops on top
of the wheel wells. Since you have a TR4 you dont have these stops, but I'm
sure you could find another location very easily.

One problem with this installation is that the mechanism takes up about 4
inches of space needed by the seats when moved fully back, so the seats
will not go back all the way. If you're big, that's a problem. I remounted
the mechanism at the top of the wheel well, but am experiencing some
interference with the top when down. My plan is to relocate the mechanism
about six inches off the floor on the wheel well, which should provide
sufficient clearance.

John in San Diego
'67 TR4A