Sagging rear end

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sagging rear end
From: Tom White <tom.white@sgsi.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:32:04 -0700 4.0.996.62
No, I'm not talking about my personal posterior.

The rear passenger side of my TR4A IRS is sagging visibly.  Its now up
on stands and I've removed the tires and had a look at the suspension.
My questions are:
Could this be due to anything other than bad / mismatched rear springs?
At worst, the lever arm shocks should just do a poor job of dampening
bumps, right?  When the trailing arm is slack (jacks under frame,
trailing arm hanging) does the shock hold up the trailing arm?  In other
words, if I disconnect it, will the spring send the trailing arm flying?
 Alternatively, is there any way to diagnose the condition of the shocks
without removing them?  Is the bracket or the height of the attachment
of the trailing arm to the frame adjustable, and could this counter the
sag? What replacement springs, if any, would you recommend?

Any thoughts are welcome -- I don't have any experience dealing w/
suspension stuff, especially these ancient shocks!

I've also noticed something else really embarassing on that side:
There's a big wood shim wedged between the body and the top of the ..
suspension tower?  Guess I'm not sure what that is, exactly.  I'm
speculating the DPO put it there after bolting in the rollbar (to the
body, not the frame!! ack)  What the heck is that!  And would the darned
thing sag even further if I took it out?!

This amateur thanks for your thoughts,
- Tom