Re: NJ Sightings

To: jimbpps@pacbell.net, "'Mark Saffian'" <saffian@att.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NJ Sightings
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:41:18 -0400
Jim Bauder wrote:

> However, to mention that a car is for sale or that a particular
> corporations products worked for me, should imply some
> impartiality! If it does, we should say so, hence the NFI. If on
> the other hand my brother-in-law is offering the car for sale or
> owns the corporation than that "may" be different and probably
> is!

Except, Jim, that is not the example I gave.  I stated that NFI should not
be used when it relates to particular discount savings or similar
circumstances where the customer benefits financially, irregardless of their
intentions.  I have to disagree with Randall though, about the circumstances
of NFI, I believe any financial gain is motivation enough to recommend a
supplier and therefore NFI should not be used in such posts.

I am not saying that people should not post recommendations, people should
not tack on a nearly useless acronym as a disclaimer just because everyone
else does in their posts.  Sure passing on information about a car, or a
particular eBay auction, is a clear case of when the person posting probably
has absolutely no financial interest and wants to see the car or rare part
go to a good home.  Agreed.  When you're profiting in any aspect of a
transaction, you have motivation to be positive about the business you dealt
with and the products you received.  20% off on parts on a $600 order is
quite a bit of money... and I know some of you place much larger orders than
that at a time.

So in summary, I just wish for people to be more judicious in their use of
NFI as a financial disclaimer.

Kai