RE: Checking vacuum advance

Subject: RE: Checking vacuum advance
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:08:14 -0700
> Anyway, vacuum is present, no impact on idle, implies busted vacuum retard
> and the reason why my idle is too high.
>
> How do you fix these things?

First make sure that the point plate will move with the retard disconnected.
The capsule doesn't generate a lot of force, so if the plate is bound up for
some reason, it just won't move.

The capsule itself is normally just replaced, however my local auto supply
store was able to send the one off my TR3A out to be rebuilt.  Cost was
around $40, comparable to a new one (then).  ISTR turnaround was about a
week.

Randall