SILICONE SUMP GASKET NOW AVAILABLE - TR 2-4A

To: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SILICONE SUMP GASKET NOW AVAILABLE - TR 2-4A
From: Justin <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:29:46 -0700
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am now in limited production of my new silicone sump gasket for the
Standard Vanguard motor (TR 2-4A, etc.)  Whereas my valve cover gasket
captures the cover, this sump gasket captures the block.  It won't
leak.  It can be used over and over again.  etc. Unlike the valve cover
gasket that would only work with a stock cover, this gasket will work
with any sump.

It is more expensive.  $45.00.  I know that's going to push the envelope
for most TR enthusiasts, but for the amount of material costs and labor
involved in R&D, making them by hand, promoting them, processing orders
and packing them, and shipping them, and so on...  it's what I have to
charge.  (You can't compare prices to what you may have seen for a fancy
FORD sump pan gasket, etc.   This market is way too small to justify
investment in tooling for mass production and, subsequently,  to
purchase a large inventory of gaskets in an attempt to bring the per
unit costs down.  I can speak from experience on that, having sold valve
cover gaskets since 1997.  It is a very small market.  And unlike light
bulbs and tires, I haven't designed these gaskets to fail in some
particular time frame, so that I can enjoy a robust replacement
business! )

Secondly, there is a potential additional cost.   The gasket is thicker
than stock.   Depending on the length of your stock bolts, you may need
to replace some or all to be longer. Standard automotive grade bolts
will work, as long as the threads are properly cleaned and Loctite is
used, but I will be offering and highly
recommending a very trick set of aircraft bolts drilled for safety wire.
(See attached pics)  This all new hardware, mil spec. bolts, nuts, and
washers, is $25.00.  If you tried to buy these bolts yourself, you would
easily spend $2.00 a bolt.  (There's 19 bolts on the sump.)   I'm
passing along much of my volume discount.  (With this gasket, the bolts
are torqued to only 5 ft.-lbs, subsequently Loctite or safety wiring is
required.)

Take a look at the photos of the gasket (links below).  The rails grab
the block as mentioned.  They also help you to tease the gasket into
position as you're installing the gasket, which makes installation a
breeze!  The gasket has gusseted corners that helps to maintain the
shape of the gasket as you're installing the gasket and, in place, helps
to assure that no part of the gasket at the ends of the block can move.
The extra thickness enables the gasket to fill any chips in your block
or warpage in your sump cover.

I am in the final road tests of my TR 4A with the gasket, and so far
it's meeting all my expectations.  If you purchase the gasket, you too
will be part of my field testing. Those of you that field tested my
valve cover gasket, all those years ago, know that there are pitfalls in
being part of the initial field tests: changes in recommended torque,
installation methods, etc.  However, all that were involved with those
field tests persevered and, from the feedback I received back then, they

enjoyed the opportunity to be the ground breakers.  Of course, the
gasket will be guaranteed.

For those of you intimidated by the safety wiring, the gasket will come
with a set of directions that clearly outline the procedure.  It's not
as involved as you probably think.   The little "manual" will be a work
in process, as the feedback of early customers is often incorporated in
future directions.

$45.00 for the gasket.
$25.00 for the OPTIONAL aircraft hardware  (includes 19 bolts, lock
washers, flat washers, and enough safety wire for two installations.)
Plus shipping/handling.

This is a luxury item for those that simply want the best.  It won't be
for everyone. If it's more than you'd like to spend on a gasket, I'd
understand.   That is a lot to spend for a gasket and hardware that you
don't need (unless you have the gasket!).  Please don't feel obligated
because you showed an interest before.  It would probably take a few
years to pay for itself, in terms of replacement gaskets and tubes of
gasket sealants (depending on your gasket turnover and what sealants
you've used in the past) and the value you place on your time!  Just
weigh in what your own priorities are for expenditures on your car, and
make your own decision.

I don't think we need a thread on the price of the gasket.  If it is
more than you would spend for a gasket, I understand.  And I know there
are those out there that feel the stock gasket is fine and "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it".  That's fine.   I know what my costs are and how
much time I put into this endeavor.  I wish I could offer them for less,
but the work involved goes way beyond any little hobby project.

If you're interested, but think you'll be sitting on the fence until a
future rebuild or something, let me know.  Purchases now, however, are
certainly appreciated as I'm a bit out on a limb in developing this
gasket!

Here's the pictures of the gasket installed on a TR 3:

http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner/GasketinPlace.jpg
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner/CrossDirlledBolt.jpg
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner/SafetyWire2.jpg     (see NOTE below
about safety wire techniques)
http://www.greenheart.com/jmwagner/SafetyWire1.jpg

Thank you.

Sincerely,

--Justin Wagner
jmwagnersales.com  (the sump gasket is not yet mentioned on the web
site)

NOTE:  If you have an aluminum cover and you want the aircraft hardware,
I will need your flange thickness and there would be a delay in order
for me to acquire the correct hardware.  (There's such a variance in
those flanges, as I have learned through my AMICI inquiries,  that I
could not afford to "stock" all the different bolt lengths!)

NOTE:  You will note that the safety wire shown does not follow standard
safety wiring protocol.   Even in aircraft, a single wire going through
a series of bolts that form a circle or rectangle, etc,  is approved
without twists between each bolt.  However they do recommend that the
wire enter and exit each bolt in an alternating pattern that leads one
bolt to tighten the next, etc.   The directions that come with the
hardware will show you how to do this.  (Subsequently, the photo shown
isn't entirely accurate.)

NOTE:  Please don't ask about the TR 6 and Spitfire valve cover
gaskets.   They are in the wings  And while the wait has been beyond
long, it will be worth it.