TR 4 GEARBOX

To: "'Hickey, Terry'" <Terry.Hickey@team.telstra.com>, "Triumph List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 4 GEARBOX
From: "McMaster, John" <JOHN.MCMASTER@act.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:07:37 +1000
Terry,

I converted my ex - USA TR 6 to overdrive with a 2500 sedan box - J type
O/Drive unit.  I think you'll find that your sedan box is also J Type - the
main visible difference is in the way the solenoid is attached - the J type
sits horizontally on the bottom of the left hand side (looking over the bell
housing) whereas the A type is mounted vertically.

You will need to add a cross member to your chassis to accept the O/D unit -
not hard to do - I made mine from 3mm plate, folded one edge over for
rigidity and cut the existing brackets in half to fit it in - I used 2 bolts
through those brackets and then an additional 2 through the chassis lip.
Mountings are by way of 2 flexible couplings rather than a gearbox mount as
such.

You'll need to use the sedan clutch - no difference in performance or
quality - just a different size input shaft.  I'm still on the original
clutch plate with mine - over 40,000km and I've got close on 180hp!  Don't
worry too much about the speedo - use the tacho!  I got around the speedo
issue by using a 2 piece cable - I used the sedan cable from the box and
then had an adapter and short cable made to fit the back of the speedo - the
reason was 2 fold - I could source the sedan cable more easily than the TR6
and I could fit a T-piece for the Halda rally gear.

Other things you should note - do the gearbox conversion before you fit the
body back to the chassis (if it's already off) and join the Triumph car
club!  Lots of experts about within the clubs and always willing to offer
assistance and advise.

Good Luck

John Mc
'71 TR6 PI