RE: oxygen analyser for tuning carbs?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: oxygen analyser for tuning carbs?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:21:39 -0700
> Any tips?
> TR3 that runs very smoothly and pulls very well up hills with just a light
> touch of the gas pedal, even with od in. But on level ground when not
> loaded starts to get a bit jerky when the rpm falls to around 1600 or
> lower, almost as though a plug was bad. Sudden treading on the
> gas pedal in
> this situation can produce a coughing of the motor, which then
> picks up. On
> stopping engine idles well initially but revs fall over about 20 secs and
> then the engine dies. Lots of fun at lights.

Sounds like a leaking float valve to me.

> all make for interesting reading. In particular this article -
> http://www.team.net:80/www/morgan/tech/tuning.html
>  - talks about testing out your needles at different speeds with
> an exhaust
> analyser.
>
> Anyone tried one of these, or know of any product names for the job?

Gunson Gastester is one such, available at
http://www.aep.bigstep.com

The '$100' analyzers are all just ordinary 'O2' or 'Lambda' sensors hooked
to some sort of indicator.    The problem with that is that they aren't very
accurate.  What accuracy they have is only right around a stoichiometric
mixture, which while very suitable for a catalytic converter, is not optimum
for either maximum power (which is richer) or maximum fuel economy (which is
leaner).  And, even there, the reading is affected by backpressure and
exhaust temperature.  Getting an accurate reading will cost substantially
more.
http://interstice.com/~garfield/

You can make an equivalent to the cheap analyzers by just mounting a
commercial O2 sensor and hooking a high impedance (20 Mohm) DMM to it.  I
played with such a setup for awhile, but it was hard to make heads or tails
of the reading.  At least on my TR3A, the mixture would go from 'cruise
lean' to 'power rich' with less change in throttle position than I could
control.  Of course, my car does ride a bit rough with all the suspension
changes I've made, so that's certainly part of the problem.

Randall