RE: TR3a Bouncing ammeter

To: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>, "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a Bouncing ammeter
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:49:07 -0700
> So, what are you telling me? This is the state of the world for
> me ( I have
> puzzled look )?  If I want this then I need to change to an alternator or
> not run at night?

Well, no, what I'm trying to say is that you have a limitation to be aware
of.  Much like not being able to drive 4 hours straight at 100 mph (you'll
run out of gas), you can't drive 8 hours straight with the headlights and
the radiator fan on or you'll run out of battery.  But since the electric
fan should only be necessary at speeds under 40 mph (it has little or no
effectiveness above that speed anyway), it shouldn't be a significant
limitation on how you use the car.

BTW, even sitting idling in 90F+ weather, my electric fan will pull the
engine temperature down to where the fan should shut off (if I had a
thermostatic control) in just a minute or two.  I strongly recommend a
thermostatic control as the primary means of operation, the only reason I'm
not using one at the moment is because my custom design didn't work out as I
planned and I haven't taken time to redesign it.

(For those who care and understand, the durned NE555 I tried to use as a
comparator oscillates !  Back to the blackboard ... if anyone knows of a
single leaded package with a comparator and output to drive a 100ma relay
coil, I'd like to hear about it.  I'm sure they're out there, just not in my
junk box <g>)

Randall