ZS-175 Carb adjustment question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: ZS-175 Carb adjustment question
From: Davgil@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:15:46 EDT
List,
     My 1976 TR-6 has Zenith Stromberg 175-CD2 carbs that I am certain are
running rich.  The car runs very well and appears to have smooth acceleration
at all rpms, but has a fuel smell to the exhaust and my fuel consumption
seems excessive.  I was attempting to lean the mixture a bit, but could not
adjust the needle.  I have an adjustment tool that may or may not be the
proper tool. It is composed of a cylinder that goes into the dashpot with a
hex wrench through the cylinder.  My understanding is that the cylinder holds
things in place while the hex is used to adjust the needles.  I cannot get
the hex to feel like it seats in anything to make any adjustment.  Since this
is my first time at adjusting the mixture, I was afraid to be too aggressive
with the wrench.  My question to the list is whether this is the appropriate
tool for adjusting the mixture on this model carb?

An additional question, if I may.  I took the opportunity to raise the
cylinders in the carbs and both operate smoothly but there is noticeably more
resistance on one than on the other.  I use the same oil in the dashpot
(Black 3-in-1 oil) but I may have used a different viscosity at some time in
one.  My first guess is that there is a difference in the oil and I would
like to know what suggestions you could make for draining the oil and
replacing it with the same oil.

As always, thanks to the list for the wealth of knowledge you share with
those of us who are mechanically challenged.

David Gill
1076 TR6