Re: Ignition Advance!

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition Advance!
From: Graham McMicken <g.mcmicken@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:17:40 -0700
> > It seems as though my advance is not working.
>
> One has to ask, how do you know? :-)

    I have to turn the dist. at higher rpm, to rev, otherwise it backfires.
_________

> > The engine can Idle, and slowly start to rev, if I am manually
> > turning the distributor.
>
> That's because more advance generally gives more power, up to point
> where the timing is too early.  This behavior is entirely normal.  It
> also means that setting idle speed and idle timing is an iterative
> process.  You might consider setting timing statically first, i.e.
> with the engine off.

Yes, I know it is normal, But the advance weights should be doing it, not
me.
__________

> > Now, I need to know how to fix this, I have a TR6 with a Lucas #41219D
> > Distributor. I was wondering if there is a way to check the advance?
>
> The weights work like this.  When centrifugal force throws them
> outward, they move the cams and the rotor more forward (i.e. in the
> same direction that the rotor normally spins, which is
> counterclockwise, if I remember).  The springs pull the weights back
> in when the spinning slows down or stops.
>
> Systems often have two slightly different springs, and they won't
> necessarily become active at the same time, meaning that one may seem
> to have some free play.  This is also normal.  The idea is that you
> get two different behaviors, a large advance vs. rpm increase at
> lower rpm's, then less advance increase as rpm's go higher.
>
> If you grab the rotor (with the engine stopped! :-) and try to rotate
> it in its normal spinning direction, you should be able to turn it
> easily enough to see it move, perhaps 5 to 10 degrees depending on
> the spec'ed total advance.  You should also be able feel the spring
> pressure working against you.  If you then release it, it should
> return back to its starting position.  (There may be a small bit of
> play in the at-rest position before the springs become active.)
>
> In most cases this will work perfectly, more or less.  There are two
> possible failure modes.  The mechanism could have siezed, meaning
> that you can't turn it and you get no centrifugal advance when it is
> running.  (This happened to me with a Chevy 305 once.)  Or one or
> both spring could have weakened or broken so that whenever the engine
> is running the mechanism advances to its fullest.  In either case you
> should be able to observe it with this simple test.

  It is not advancing at all.
________

> The toughest case is one of weak springs.  You usually can't tell by
> feel whether a spring is as stiff as it ought to be.  But it also
> isn't a fatal problem.  If a spring is too weak, you will get a bit
> too more advance than you are supposed to as rpm's climb.  You may
> notice this as pinging or similar sign at higher rpm's even though
> you set the timing to spec at idle.  You can correct this by moving
> the timing backwards a bit.  In the worst case, you'll have good
> timing at some rpm's but less than ideal timing at others.  Given
> that timing is a mushy compromise anyway, especially at higher rpm's,
> this isn't a so bad.
>
> If you really suspect the springs or any part of the centrifugal
> advance mechansim, you can use a timing light and simply observe the
> timing at different rpm's.  You'll need some way to rev the engine to
> various higher rpm's.  A spouse or friend sitting in the driver's
> seat and watching the tach while reving the accelerator with a steady
> foot is one way.  You then observe the timing with your timing light
> while the engine is roaring in your face.  Check it at, say, 1000,
> 2000, 3000, and 4000 rpm's.  You can compare this to various
> published curves.

   I can't rev the engine!!!, Because it does not advance, the second I
start,
It backfires, because the spark is too late!.
__________

> Most likely you will have no problem.  Setting the timing will then
> be your next task.  There are several ways to start.  I like to start
> with the static setting.  Also with your idle advance (which should
> actually be a retard) disconnected (but plugged to
> prevent extra air from entering the carb) and the idle under 1000,
> the timing should
> be similar to the static timing.  So another technique is to pull and
> plug the retard line and then use the static timing (then reconnect
> the retard line and set your idle speed).  Or if you trust that the
> vacuum unit works, just set it to the spec'ed idle timing.  When
> you're done, rev it a bit and watch the timing climb with rpm.
>
> Hope this helps.

It did, somewhat, I now know more about how it works :-)
 Could you please elaborate on the vacuum retard unit?
 I'm not sure what it does.

Thanks,

Graham McMicken