RE: Piston/ring orientation

To: "tr list list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Piston/ring orientation
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:05:29 -0700
> For the TR 4 cylinder engine, is there a "front" to the pistons,
> or are they
> symmetric?

I believe the answer is "yes".  Some original pistons had asymmetric skirts,
and ISTR the grading letter was supposed to indicate the front.  I've also
seen at least one set of aftermarket pistons that have a notch to indicate
the front.  However, if yours are unmarked and not obviously asymmetric,
then they can probably go in either way.

Check Haynes pg 29, fig 1.12 for one type of factory piston.

>  The only marking I can find is the oversize number.  Also, is
> there a recommended way to space the ring gaps?  I can't find any
> mention in
> Bently's or Hayne's.

Just put the gaps 180 deg apart (per para (x), page 117 of the Bentley).
The Haynes figure I mentioned above claims to show proper gap spacing, but I
don't believe it.

Randall