Re: TR4 - Removing trim/letters

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 - Removing trim/letters
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 22:50:36 EDT
In a message dated 6/30/2002 5:14:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
geohahn@ultrasw.com writes:

> What is the technique for removing trim such as the letters on the boot
> lid?
>
> Mine are secured with cylindrical metal clips that tightly grip the
> studs on the back of the letters.  Can't tell whether I squeeze or
> pry... push or pull.  Are the replacements that are generally available
> (Moss et al) the same as originals?  Thanks for any help.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think what you're referring to is plastic
(nylon? or similar) and not metal, sometimes known in the Spare Parts
Catalogues. They insert from the outside as do the letters or badges (or
whatever they're holding). What I've found easiest is to use a drift of the
proper diameter and a small hammer. GENTLE, alternating taps on the pins will
drive the letters out.

All I know is that these are a lot easier to deal with than the older metal
"fix plates"! I had the pleasure of trying to deal with two of these on the
Triumph shield badge adorning the front of my Herald 1200 today (why DO
people insist on installing these upside down, anyway?).

--Andy Mace

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line."
-- Oscar Levant