Re: TR250 FS $26000!!!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR250 FS $26000!!!
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 12:10:59 -0500
Phil Ethier wrote:

> Cars are not worth what you have in them.
> Cars are worth what someone will pay for them.

If the question is "How much can I get for my car?", then you're absolutely
right. But I suspect that we already knew that  :-)

But if the question is "How much would I sell my car for today?", then the
answer might be quite different. After four years of work, my TR6 is
restored, equipped, modified and painted exactly the way I wanted it. As a
result, it's "worth" far more to me than in would be to anyone else.

> With all the cars for sale in the USA, it seems unlikely to
> me that there would be a rush to buy a TR250 for $26,000.
> Even if the buyer was set on a TR250, there are fine
> examples available for less than this.

My only comment was that I'm not offended if someone puts a car up for sale
at a price that reflects (at least in part) the work that's gone into it and
the costs that would be involved in duplicating it. Perhaps the $26,000 car
won't sell, or will sell for a substantially lower price . . . but if
someone comes along who wants a concours quality 250, with Webers, etc.
painted BRG--and wants it tomorrow--it's going to be expensive.

> The payoff is in the pleasure of sharing the Triumph with my lovely wife.

Now you're talking! Pretty hard to set a price on that.

Jim Hill
Madison WI