Re: Thank you for your help with my TR3A

To: daviddressel@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, xk-engine@jag-lovers.org
Subject: Re: Thank you for your help with my TR3A
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:05:45 EDT
In a message dated 8/4/02 11:11:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
daviddressel@hotmail.com writes:

<< By the way, I'm going to take the SM to the electrical shop tomorrow for a
 checkup, anyway.   >>

Since the starter is freshly painted and part of a restoration, be sure to
tell them not to scratch the paint too much.  Starter testing is done by
clamping it in a vise type arrangement than applying power.  Some more
advanced testers actually drive a ring gear with a load but these are $$, so
most are a no load type.

I vote for stuck brushes or a brush spring not in place.  When starters are
built, some springs can be pulled to the side to allow insertion of the
comutator.  A previous rebuilder may have forgotten to set the spring or it
may be broken.  If you have the typical Lucas inertia starter, remove the tin
band on the tail of the starter for brush access.

Harold