Re: motor rebuild

To: "jack williams" <jackandangie@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: motor rebuild
From: "Bob Westerdale" <Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:20:34 -0400 |January 7, 2002) at 08/07/2002 08:20:38 AM, Serialize complete at 08/07/2002 08:20:38 AM
Cc: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jack-
        you didn't mention the model- .....   TR3/4 ? if so, you can pull
the oilpan off and exchange the conn rod bearings and oil pump.   That,
with the use of some 20W-50 should bring back a little life provided the
motor isn't hammering itself to bits already.   And I've got some serious
doubts that cam wear would render the valves difficult to adjust... unless
perhaps the cam bearings are so toasted that the cam is wandering
around....   but lobe wear generally only affects the amount of valve
lift, not the clearance you adjust with the valves closed.
        If your crank is not badly scored  I'll bet you can resolve the
oil pressure problems for less than $200,  and do the whole job in a
weekend.   I'd get another opinion on the cam wear issue.  I think your
present mech needs to make another payment on his boat.....
good luck,
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A TS36967

"jack williams" <jackandangie@attbi.com>