Shims for Brake Squeal

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shims for Brake Squeal
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 22:08:38 -0400
I did a complete brake job last winter. When I did this, I installed those
stick on cardboard anti-squeal shims on the backs of the brake pads. After a
few runs, the brakes began squealing. Then the car went into hibernation for
a few months while I rebuilt the engine. On one of the umpteen orders for
engine parts, I purchased metal shims from Roadster Factory. When I got the
car back up and running in about May, the squeal was again gone so I did not
install the metal shims. A couple of weeks ago, it began squealing again.

This evening, I had the front wheels off to adjust the wheel bearings. I
pulled the brake pads to take a look at them. The cardboard shims had fallen
off and were jammed up between the caliper and the pads. Now was the time to
install the metal shims. Applied some silicone brake lubricant to them,
popped them on and went for a ride. The squeal seems now to be gone again.
I'll cross my fingers. The metal shims certainly won't fall off because they
are pinned in place with the pads.

Regards,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6

PS
Got a "Nice car!" comment from a young blonde in the passenger seat of a
Boxster with her aged boyfriend driving.