Re: Changing oil filter with full oil system

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Changing oil filter with full oil system
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:24:03 -0400
On 14 Aug 2002 at 6:12, Bill McLeod wrote:
> the messy, but workable solution is to drive a screwdriver into or through
> the filter body and torque it off.

The only problem with this is that it really commits you to getting
the filter off!  Once you punch a hole in it you can't drive the car
to the autoparts or tools store to buy a remover that actually fits
those little bitty forrin car oil filters.

Here's another suggestion.  Wear a pair of Platex rubber gloves, the
kind you'd use for washing dishes or scrubbing a floor.  They give
your hands incredible grip even when oily.  You can actually unscrew
the oil filter by hand.  And they protect your skin pretty well too.
Used oil is loaded with carcinogens and other nasty stuff.  Not that
I ever worry about it but my better half worries about me.
 --
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com