Overheated TR6... CRUNCH! GRIND! Sadness.

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheated TR6... CRUNCH! GRIND! Sadness.
From: Ian Clough <mc_ian@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:11:25 -0400 (EDT)
NoooooooO!

The recent heat wave we're experiencing here in Ottawa
has claimed another victim - my TR6. Sadness.

Driving home yesterday in 35 degre weather (I much
prefer when it's -35), I was at a red light and I
could smell something burning and thought "heh-heh,
some poor sucker's car is overheating".  Almost that
same instance I saw steam coming from under my hood!
"Nooooooo! Why me Lord?  Why ME??"  Luckilly I was
almost home, so I took it really easy.  I kept a close
eye on the oil pressure, but the temp gauge was off
the scale.  Then it got worse, as I was turning onto
my street, as the revs were going doing to almost idle
I heard the distinct noise of grinding/breaking metal.

Okay, enough whining.  The engine is now cool enough
to approach, where should I start?  I really don't
want to start the engine not knowing what the grinding
sound was.  My first stop will probably be the
thermostat, how can I tell if it was the root cause
and if it should be replaced?  Then the engine itself,
what should I test first?

Ian Clough
Chernobyl-Red '75 TR6
HOTtawa, Canada