Re: Rod bearing numbers... meaning?

To: kurtisj@cox-internet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rod bearing numbers... meaning?
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:50:35 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/02 9:24:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kurtisj@cox-internet.com writes:

<< It reads:

 4A STD
 MF1
 1810083 >>

For bearings in general and non TR specific, I'd say

4A  ? ( might be a size variation or date code, see text below)

STD   Standard size

MF1  ? ( might be a size variation or date code, see text below)

1810083  Looks like a part number

If these bearings are original, there is a chance standard can be .001" or
.0005  undersized. ( Normal undersides are .010, .020 and so on.)  For
engines in general, the factory sizes cranks then installs under/ over sized
bearings on some journals to adjust clearance. This is also done with
cylinder bores and pistons, take a look for a paint mark on the side of the
block ( 70's Chrysler V8s, it is a letter under the final coat of paint) or
letter stampings on the top of the block.  Kent 1.6 , used in a Formula Ford,
had pistons graded by letter, the "E" grade was the biggest "standard" size
and sought after by many engine builders.

With modern machining what it is, I suspect this practice is a thing of the
past and everything is now standard.

In most cases, the .0005 and .001 bearings are dealer only.  I used to be
able to get .002 under bearings for Ford 302/351.  These were great for
getting more miles from a worn engine without pulling the crank.  Weird under
sizes seem to be common on old Continental engines and other industrial
applications. ( Not related to Ford, used on forklifts, compressors and such)

Factory shop manuals offer clues to decode any markings.

Harold