Don't sell your Castrol stock just yet

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Don't sell your Castrol stock just yet
From: "David Dressel" <daviddressel@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:37:08 -0500 FILETIME=[68AB9A00:01C248CC]
All:

Thanks to so many of you who have given me advice about how to stop the
deluge of oil from my oil canister mount.  After trying many sealing rings,
different levels of torque, various techniques of tightening the canister to
the mount, I picked up a spare mount from Greg Petrolati last night and did
some work on it.  My procedure:

1.  I shaved the sides of the sealing ring seat with a utility knife.  This
is not fine surgery, but it did help smooth that part of the mount.

2.  I sanded the seat until I felt that it was very smooth enough not to be
a variable.

3.  I "lapped" the lower rim of the mount.  This is completely unnecessary,
but it made me feel better.

4.  Decided to give the spin-on adaptor another chance.  Lapped the portion
of the adaptor that contacts the sealing gasket on the filter.  I had
previously used a BFH to force the round adaptor into an out-of-round mount.
  The lapping removed the dents.

5.  Without the sealing ring in place, I inserted the adaptor into the
mount.  Tried to spin it in there, and found a few places where there was
binding.  Took this problem out with a trip to the wire wheel for the
adaptor, and more sanding on the inside of the sealing ring seat.  Finally,
got the adaptor to turn freely in the seat.

6.  Attached adaptor to new mount, then mount to block.  A couple of washers
were omitted on the original mount, so I added those.

7.  Oiled the o-ring and the filter seal and screwed the filter on -
hand-tight.

8.  Replaced the 1-1/2 quarts of Castrol 30 that I spread over the
neighborhood streets this morning.

9.  Started car.  The filter doesn't leak!

10.  Now that the camouflage is out of the way, found that I have a nice
drip from the bell housing.  I believe this means dropping the trans and
replacing THAT seal.

Nothing ever works 100%, but it's the little victories that keep us going.
As my dad used to say - "If he roots in a straight line long enough, even a
blind hog will eventually find an acorn."

Thanks to all,

D.

David Dressel
Champaign, IL USA