Re: TR250 cam/TR250 Tappets Questions

To: TR250 <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR250 cam/TR250 Tappets Questions
From: David <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:06:06 -0700
I had the same experience. My engine lasted 2000 miles. I'm now using
tappets
purchased from TSI and a cam from Elgin Cams. Dimitri rockwell hardness
tested
my tappets, ground the tappet crown to match the taper on the cam, and
polished and
parkerized the tappets. The hardness of my TSI tappets is in the range
of 52 to 59.
I'm running Kent valve springs with 300lb/in spring rate, 90lb of seat
pressure, and
222lb of pressure over the cam nose with .441 inches of lift at the
valve. With
reasonable attention to the details - tappet/cam hardness, cam profile,
tappet/cam
taper, valve spring rate, valve seat pressure, and over-the-nose
pressure, we should
be able to make this stuff last, assuming we seat the tappets and cam
properly at
break-in time. Gone are the days when you can simply order parts from
suppliers
and blindly bolt them together.

Dave
68' TR250