RE: TR6 Differential whine

To: "'rbaker_fmg@rushmore.com'" <rbaker_fmg@rushmore.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Differential whine
From: "Kohout, Robert Mr. GS-15" <kohout@jbc.jfcom.mil>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:18:23 -0400
The Bentley shop manual requires some specialized tools (almost impossible
to get) to rebuild the differential.  Purpose is to ensure long life AND
minimize noise from the differential.

The Haynes manual says the differential can be rebuilt using some
specialized tools (dial gauge, case spreader, - can be bought or built) to
rebuild the differential if one is willing to tolerate a potential increase
in noise (Hmmm, noise is bad but some can be tolerated).

Found this website which addresses U.S. and Japanese differentials (the
principals are the same as the TR-6 differential).  Check out the FAQ
section and click on [ What is this noise... ]  Discusses types on noise and
the solutions.  http://www.differentials.com/index.html

Wish I could be of more assistance but is seems like a judgement call
regarding a rebuild.

Robert
72 TR-6