Re: specifics on classic car insurance

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: specifics on classic car insurance
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:41:07 -0500
I think we're getting some mixed signals regarding "classic car insurance".

The reason classic car rates are lower is (duh!) because the risks of a loss
are lower. The risks are lower precisely because of the restrictions placed
on the use of the car, all of which tend to ensure that the car is kept in a
safe place, driven under safe conditions, and not driven very often.

Most of these specialty companies have similar requirements (garage-kept,
annual mileage limits, no commuting to work, owning at least one other
normally-insured car for daily driving, etc.) Those requirements, plus the
assumption that drivers of classic cars tend to be mature folks who care
very much about their vehicles--and the economy of running an insurance
company without a nationwide network of agents and adjusters--are what bring
the premiums down.

As a result, it's unlikely that any insurer is going to waive these
requirements just because I tell them that "It's not very far to work",
"There usually aren't many cars in my parking lot" or somesuch. For the same
reason, you're not going to qualify for "non-smokers" life insurance rates
if you tell them that you "only smoke after dinner".

Of course, anyone who wants to use their classic car for commuting can buy
insurance from the same companies that insure all the other commuters.

Jim Hill
Madison WI