Coil Voltages and No Spark GT6

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coil Voltages and No Spark GT6
From: "Roger Langley" <galahad@uslink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:21:37 -0500
I put a new coil on which said not to use an external resistor so I removed
the ballast resistor.   Randall Young was kind enough to give me some
detailed information on coil voltages.  He said "key on, points closed
should be 6 to 9 volts. Points open 12v."  My meter shows 16 volts at the
positive side of the coil regardless of point position.I realize that the
meter could be wrong but are there any other suggestions of what is going
on.  Thank you all for such fast responses and helpful detail in the past.

Roger
St. Paul MN