RE: oil pressure bypass adjustment

Subject: RE: oil pressure bypass adjustment
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 22:53:25 -0700
> The Bentley's manual states that the oil pressure bypass is
> factory set and
> should not be adjusted.  I know that I had that part at one time.  How do
> you assure that it is set properly?  There is, after all, an adjustment.

Relief pressure should be 60-70 psi.  The trick is knowing when the relief
valve is opening, careful observation should tell you.  Hint : With the
valve closed, oil pressure is directly proportional to engine rpm.  Once it
opens, although pressure will still increase with rpm, it increases much
slower.

However, it is possible to overwhelm the relief valve with, for instance,
cold temperatures, thick oil and a tight engine.

Randall