Brake Fluid (?) problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <triumph_vitesse@yahoogroups.com>, <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>, <triumph_cars@yahoogroups.com>, "Triumph 2000" <triumph_2000@yahoogroups.com>, "Spitfires Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Fluid (?) problem
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:34:21 +0100 g8NLfqU16810
Hi,
    Firstly, appologies for the cross posting, but I this may be relevant to
many people. I spoke to a TSSC member this evening regarding a severe problem
seemingly caused by some dodgy brake fluid. This stuff was apparently bought at
the TSSC International weekend about 3 years ago from an unknown trader. From
what I've been told, the fluid is a cloudy grey and is not identified by any
recognised packaging - the vendor apparently suggested it had been bought in
bulk and repackaged in plain plastic containers. Now all of the brake fluids
I've ever used have been a nominally transparent liquid, most modern mineral
fluids being tinted yellow. I have only ever seen silicone fluid which is
tinted purple (though I don't pretend to be an expert on this), but the
cloudiness is what rings alarm bells with me. Having put this fluid into a
brand new braking system it has severely swelled all of the seals and jammed
the entire system. A complete re-seal is going to be necessary, but what's
worse is how can the owner be sure that he has removed all contamination from
the pipes?
    The only conclusion I can come to is that this stuff isn't brake fluid at
all but has been sold as such. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had
a similar experience - this member surely can't be the only person who bought
this stuff at Stafford? If you've got some on the shelf be warned.
    Cheers,
        Bill Davies.

--
Rarebits4classics