Re: FW: Alternative Transmissions....

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <BSmith51@ICCNET.COM>
Subject: Re: FW: Alternative Transmissions....
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 07:55:24 -0500
I looked into this, and it's a no go.  At least not without a whole lot
of work.
I had a chance to buy a 5 speed for a few dollars, and luckily the guy
had a TR7 four speed sitting right beside it.  We spent some time
examining the two transmissions and discussing the job.  Here's my
recollections of what we found, and why I didn't do it.

The Bell housing is not merely an add on to the 5 speed.  It ties in
with the front of the gearbox.  I don't remember how.  What I do
remember is both of us concluding that I'd have to fabricate a bell
housing and the face of the gearbox for clutch action.

The shifter mechanism was substantially further back then the 4 speed.
So much so that is appeared I'd have to use a backwards shifter (ala
Cobra).  I'd also have to cut the frame of the Spitfire in order to fit
the 5 speed tail into the car, as well as completely redoing the rear of
the transmission cover and the radio support in the car.

The job was so involved and effectively impossible that I actually left
a perfectly good TR8 5 speed gearbox instead of spending the mere $20 to
take it home.