RE: What the.....?! (increasingly little LBC content)

Subject: RE: What the.....?! (increasingly little LBC content)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:04:09 -0800
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Michael D. Porter wrote :

> There is an excellent set of books by a
> man (whose name escapes me now) in England on making working gasoline
> and steam miniatures, with lots of set-up information on doing it all on
> just a lathe, which I find quite amazing.

I'm not sure he offers this particular set of books, but if you are
interested in such things, ask for a free catalog from Lindsay Books
http://www.lindsaybks.com/

> Working miniature models are reasonably popular in the U.S. (there is
> one guy selling kits for Chevy V-8s about six inches long), but nothing
> like the popularity in Europe, particularly in England. Miniature
> replica steam locomotives seem to very popular there.

Perhaps not as popular as in the UK, but there is still a fair amount of
interest in the US.  The Los Angeles Live Steamers have a fairly extensive
model railroad in Griffith Park, and give rides to the public on their 1/8th
scale trains, for example.  The North American Model Engineering Society has
thousands of members, see
http://www.oldengine.org/members/luket/shows.html
for photos from their (and other) shows over the last few years.

Randall