Re: TR4 generator polarizing procedure

To: "Pharr, Jeff" <pharr@terralign.com>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 generator polarizing procedure
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 10:57:05 -0700
"Pharr, Jeff" wrote:

> Some months back there was a nice description of a procedure used to
> polarize a new TR4 generator.  I need that procedure again but I was unable
> to find it using the archive search.  Could someone please repost that
> procedure?

Jeff, there is a nice description in the Moss catalog on the page with the
generator, and I cribbed those instructions for this post from 1/12/2001.
The Moss TR2-4 catalog at the time had these on page 74, provided
here FEORPO:

--
Generator Polarization

Any replacement generator must be polarized to suit the vehicle's
electrical system, and therefore the following procedures must be
adopted.

1) Fit the generator to the vehicle, but do not at this stage connect wires
to the terminals.

2) Determine which terminal of the battery is "hot" (ie., not grounded to
the vehicle), and connect a length of wire to the terminal. If it is
inconvenient to connect the wire directly to the battery, it may instead
be connected to the "battery side" terminal of the starter solenoid.

3) Taking the free end of the wire, hold it against the field terminal (the
smaller terminal) of the generator for three to five seconds, after which
time the generator is correctly polarized.

4) remove the temporary connector wire, and then restore the original
wires to the terminals of the generator.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO