Re: updates - rear axles -- self adjusting rear brakes

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: updates - rear axles -- self adjusting rear brakes
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:07:22 -0000
Hi Paul
Yes these are used on Dolomites, and like most automatic adjustment systems
of the era they are ...... well ...C*&p!
They will work for the first month or so (longer the more frequently you
drive the car) and then seize up, it won't matter how much of what anti
seize you use they will seize up! The best thing to do for these is to
replace the backplates with the old manual adjusters and reach under once a
month and know that the brakes are adjusted. Next best solution is to drill
a hole in the backplate or drum and poke it with a screwdriver once a month.
If you are going to use these adjusters, you have to make sure the cable is
slack enough to allow the ratchet lever to return to its resting position
against the back plate (this must be done with the weight on the wheels due
to the cable run) and make sure that the edge of the lever which engages on
the ratchet wheel has still got a sharp edge, they often are very slightly
worn away on the lower edge (as depicted in your photo). I have had some
success with worn ones building them up with weld and then very carefully
grinding them back to a sharp edge. Use plenty of copperslip anti-seize on
both the threads and the face and diameter which contact the cylinder!
I have been playing with this type of adjuster on and off for the last 16
years, I generally get fed up with them after the third strip clean
reassemble cycle and fit the manual adjusters!

Graham (technical advisor for the Triumph Dolomite Club covering Toledo and
Dolomite 1300 1500 models).
Owner of Toledo, Dolomite Sprint, Dolomite 1300, and a 1300 FWD.