oil pressure with drill

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil pressure with drill
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:00:36 -0500
Last weekend while finishing up a motor here I took the advice I have seen
on the list many times, and spun the oil pump with a reversible electric
drill to prime the pump, and to get the oil passages filled up.
A strange thing kept happening though - things would be going well when
suddenly the drill would speed up (much less oil resistance, it seemed). It
was as though the oil still had lots of air pockets in it - and once the
drill sped up, it kind of whipped it, not helping matters.
So then I ran the drill quite slowly and the moment the fast speed routine
would start I would stop, wait a bit, and go at it again. I am satisfied
that I got the passageways all filled - it was nice to see the oil dripping
out the rocker arms and 70 pounds on the gauge - but wonder if anyone else
has experienced this.
Regards,
Jim Wallace