RE: Alternator pulley

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Alternator pulley
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:15:11 -0800
> Is that pulley really too big for the alternator? Alternator pulleys
> usually seem pretty small. It would be pointless to go to all
> this work if
> the alternator then turns too slowly anyway. And if I do need a smaller
> one, is it hard to find such a thing (wide belt)?

You don't absolutely have to use a smaller pulley (I didn't), but it does
improve charging at idle, and may make it possible to use a stock fan belt.

> PS How can I identify this Delco alternator? I looked all over it and
> didn't spot any model number.

I don't know of a comprehensive list anywhere.  The 10Si and 15Si are two
common ones (each available in a range of ratings), the 10Si has round vent
holes while the 15Si has slots.  There's a 15Si laying in my garage
somewhere, let me know if you'd like measurements from it.

Randall