RE: Help! Oil pan drain plug

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Help! Oil pan drain plug
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:32:10 -0800
> I have my 67 TR4A in the air on jackstands, and I figured I'd do
> a quick oil
> change (yeah, right...famous last words).
> The oil pan drain plug must be welded in.

Chris, it's a taper (pipe) thread, and sometimes people do crank them down
unholy tight.  You could try a little heat on it, but I don't think you'll
get it hot enough to do any good without taking the risk of setting the oil
on fire.  Scott's suggestion of a few good whacks with a BFH is a good one
too.  Personally I wouldn't worry about damaging the plug (replacements are
as close as Home Depot) but don't bend up the pan.

Sears or any good tool purveyor should be able to sell you an 8-point socket
that will grip the square plug much better than your 12-point wrench, I
strongly recommend one.  While you're there, pick up some Teflon pipe dope
to use on the replacement plug.  It works better than Teflon tape, IMO, and
cannot form strings as the tape does.

Randall