Re: CA to PA towing

To: <ccgunn1010@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: CA to PA towing
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:09:02 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David
As usual I'm a bit late on this thread (as usual, being in digest mode) but
I wouldn't do what you're considering. Wen it comes to towing anything, a
good rule of thumb is the all up weight of what's being pulled should be no
more than 85% of the tow vehicle weight. Apart from not putting an abnormal
load on the tow vehicle transmission, it makes thngs more manageable if you
get 'snakng' on the trailer - and that ain't funny, especally if you're
doing 50 plus. Question of te tail shaking the dog - not waggling it.This
doesn't necessarily apply if the towing car is a rugged 4x4 and I wouldn't
put a CRV in that category. I've pulled my large Triumph (ton and a quarter
at least) on several occasions on a four wheeled trailer weighing another
ton and a half behind a Mitsubishi Shogun (Pajero) It coped with the task
fine but even the Mitsi started to grunt on occasions and that's with a 3
litre turbo diesel wit piles of bottom end torque.
Join a caravan from CA and drive the car there! That's what it was made for!
I hope to be at the Summer Party as well - and I'm travelling from England.
Having checked out airfares this week, I guess I might even find myself
entertaining the swimming option!

Jonmac