carb adjustment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: carb adjustment
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:18:27 -0800 (PST)
Hey guys,

First . .let me give thanks.

This list has made it possible for me to daily drive and vacation in
Triumphs for the last two and a half years now.

A sincerest thanks for all the help everyone has given.
I couldn't do it without you all.

Okay, so now what's up with me an my car(s)

I switched the TR-4 back from H6-SU's to the Strombergs last Sunday.
I think the SU's were leaking fuel out the bottom, and the choke was WAAY to
hard to actuate for the winter.
On top of all that, the air cleaners were rubbing the underside of the hood
a little.
(These early carbs were on the later intake manifold . . . the carbs fit in
the bubble, but not the stock air filters.)

So off they came.

On went the Strombergs with a couple of new o-rings in them to help seal up
their floats.

The TR4 Strombergs have the most simple choke in the world.
It's pitifully easy to operate.  Seems to work fairly well too as far as I
can tell.

I really did the bare minimum of installation . . . rudimentary balance of
the carbs and rough mixture adjustment.
Seems to have run well enough to get me back and forth to work this week.

I do notice a couple of things . . . the engine will rev better up to the
higher end . . . pulling all the way up to 5k on the tach.
The SU's seemed to fizzle out up there.  However now it seems to feel like
it has weaker grunt (pull) at low RPM.

Also . . . on engine braking, the exhaust has quite a lot more popping and
crackling going on.
Don't know exactly what that means, if it's a bad thing, I suppose I ought
to fix it.

Isn't there some sort of Bypass on TR6 carbs that is supposed to lessen this
effect?

Lastly, when I let off the accelerator (completely)  the idle will dip way
down to sub 500 rpm levels.
The red ignition light will start glowing and once or twice the car has even
stalled.
Given a few seconds .. the idle will recover and eventually work its way up
to 1000rpm or so.

One other bit of info:  no vacuum advance on this car.  Its broken.
So that port is plugged on the carbs.

So those are my symptoms.
Anyone want to hazard some guesses as to what I ought to look at to improve
things?

As I said . .I haven't really put a lot of effort into it yet, so I'm not
stumped or anything, but I'm always open to other's ideas.

Thanks as always.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday
Leesburg, VA